Course name: Industrial measurements
Course code: 500545
Degree course: Ingegneria Industriale
Disciplinary field of science: ING-IND/12
L'insegnamento è caratterizzante per: Ingegneria Industriale
University credits: CFU 12
Course website: http://sms.unipv.it/misure
Specific course objectives
The course goal is to introduce to the industrial measurement techniques through an experimental approach. The most important formative objectives are the knowledge of some general concepts: measurement and measurement uncertainty, as well as the knowledge of analog and digital instrumentation. The main measurement methods for electrical, mechanical, thermal and other quantities of interest in the industrial field will be then considered.
The course can be divided in two parts, the first devoted to the definition of the concepts of measurement and measurement uncertainty, as well as to electrical measurements, while the second focused on mechanical, thermal and chemical-physical measurements in industrial processes.
Basic metrology and electrical measurements
- General concepts
- Measurement systems
- Measurement units
- Measurement uncertainty
- Analog instruments
- Digital instruments
- Measurement methods for dc electrical quantities and use of the instrumentation
- Measurement methods for ac monophase electrical quantities and use of the instrumentation
- Measurement methods for ac polyphase electrical quantities and use of the instrumentation
- Bridge methods for dc measurements and use of the instrumentation
Mechanical, thermal and chemical-physical measurements in industrial processes
- Length, speed and acceleration measurements with instrumentation
- Applications: vibration and noise measurement
- Mass and strength measurements with instrumentation
- Thermal measurements with instrumentation
- Pressure measurements with instrumentation
- Flow measurements with instrumentation
- Level measurements with instrumentation
- Chemical-physical measurements in industrial processes with instrumentation
- Visit to a plant (typically a thermoelectric power plant)
Course entry requirements
Basic knowledge of mathematics, statistics, physics and electrotechnics.
Course structure and teaching
Lectures (hours/year in lecture theatre): 72
Practical class (hours/year in lecture theatre): 18
Practicals / Workshops (hours/year in lecture theatre): 28
Suggested reading materials
For the electrical measurements part the lecture notes (P. Malcovati, Misure Elettriche) and the slides used during the lectures are available. Moreover, it is possible to refer to the following books:
M. Savino. Fondamenti di Scienza delle Misure. La Nuova Italia Scientifica.
Ernest O. Doebelin. Strumenti e Metodi di Misura. McGraw-Hill.
A.Brunelli. Misure Industriali Fisiche e Meccaniche. GISI.
Testing and exams
For the first part of the course there will be a witten test. Moreover, the students will prepare reports on the activities carried-out during the experimental laboratory exercises. For the students that will have performed the written test and attended the laboratory exercises, the oral exam will consists in a discussion on the written test and the prepared reports. For the students that will not have performed the written test and/or attended the laboratory exercises, the exam will consist of an oral test on the whole program of the course.
For the second part of the course there will be no written test, but only an oral exam on the process measurements considered during the lectures and on the corresponding instrumentation.